I’m happy to say that we have launched the Kickstarter campaign for the first catalog to be published by the Center for Sex and Culture Gallery. We have chosen a very important body of work for this first effort: our collection of safer sex posters, graciously donated to us by Buzz Bense. I would very much appreciate any donation you can make to support this project, but also your efforts in spreading the word about this campaign.
Many of us remember vividly the period in the 1980s and 90s when campaigns promoting safer sex practices developed, looking back on the visual materials from these campaigns has been both a moving experience of memory and an exciting new perspective of the work many of us did in that time. As these posters and other materials begin to pass in to something more like history than recent memory, we get to see them again. Thankfully, we can now see a little more of their artistry rather than only seeing the urgency that created their message.
These materials are of both cultural and artistic significance. They were often created by advertising and illustration professionals who were suddenly free to apply their best and most innovative ideas that may have been constrained by mainstream business. With the lives and health of their community at stake, and often their own, these artists brought all of their skill to bear on efforts to save lives.
The catalog will contain images of these collected materials, primarily posters, including safer sex campaigns from North America, Europe, and Oceania. We will also include an art historical essay by Alex Fialho as well as Alex’s interview of Buzz Bense about the collection he accumulated and a foreward by Dr. Carol Queen.
Please join us in producing this important volume of materials, both for the preservation of history and to communicate to the world more broadly the great power of the work so many did in desperate times. Your contribution is critical to our success. You will be rewarded at various levels with copies of the catalog, original posters (duplicates from the collection), CSC Library tote bags (it’s like we are PBS, no?), and even a personalized tour of the archive guided by our gallerist, Dorian Katz and CSC executive director Dr. Carol Queen.
Thank you so much for your support of this project. It means a great deal.
- queershoulder reblogged this from centersexculture and added:
- specspectacle likes this
- flufflogic likes this
- progenyofworms reblogged this from thebicker
- sexbuttface reblogged this from thebicker
- sexbuttface likes this
- bladeofberserk likes this
- scholarly-rhythm reblogged this from thebicker
- toccata-carpimusnoctem reblogged this from thebicker
- grawlixinterrobang likes this
- always-1895 likes this
- daggerpen reblogged this from thebicker
- daggerpen likes this
- lorentztransformation likes this
- beili likes this
- anditwavesgoodbye likes this
- willjahm likes this
- honeybeeshepherd reblogged this from thebicker
- honeybeeshepherd likes this
- dutchbag likes this
- chaotic-awesome reblogged this from thebicker
- after-the-fair likes this
- acrylic-afternoons likes this
- vanityunfaire reblogged this from thebicker
- pantaro reblogged this from lemongrabmypenis
- teensniper likes this
- lemongrabmypenis reblogged this from thebicker
- simplesignifier likes this
- butterfli7 likes this
- missshirley likes this
- meanqueeraesthetic likes this
- goodnewsfeminism reblogged this from thebicker
- searingresurrection likes this
- madammistress reblogged this from thebicker
- madammistress likes this
- revolution-valonia-mk-3 reblogged this from thebicker
- once-upon-a-tablet likes this
- frommyoldbestfriend likes this
- telllieslikeimfiringwarningshots likes this
- notbrianna reblogged this from thebicker
- nevecampbell likes this
- onlyslightly likes this
- nonveganzombie reblogged this from thebicker
- jcatgrl likes this
- thebicker reblogged this from note-a-bear and added:
- yumkax likes this
- ithinkimasofa likes this
- note-a-bear reblogged this from queershoulder
- stressbubble reblogged this from gaywitchesforabortions
- unicornsmayonnaise reblogged this from queershoulder
The Center for Sex and Culture provides a judgment-free education, cultural events, a library/media archive, and other resources to audiences across the sexual and gender spectrum.
From our San Francisco home we promote creativity, information and healthy sexual knowledge.
Current CSC bloggers: Marilyn Roxie, Miss Andry, MissIan, and Shayna Sparling
Blog posts are curated by Center for Sex and Culture interns and staff members, including event reminders, news about events at other organizations, and media content curated from other Tumblr sites with source attribution when available. If you would like to contact us about content removal, please e-mail email@example.com.
Vintage Mags for Sale
Alibris & Amazon Wishlists
Grace Alley Mural
Sexology Journals Database
Ask me anything Submit